Student members of the Institution of Structural Engineers are aspiring young engineers who have an interest in fields related to science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM).
Why become a Student member?
IT'S FREE! and by becoming a student member you join a community of 7,000 students around the world who have already taken the first step towards progressing a career in structural engineering.
As a Student member, you will have access to:
• Exclusive discount on the The Structural Engineer and other Institution publications
• Gain full use of the Institution’s library
• Particiapte in student and graduate social events near you
• Network with professional structrual engineers and meet potential employers at events organised by local Regional Groups
• Enter competitions, prizes and awards organised by the Institution
• Opportunity to get involved in STEM events
• Membersip information and individual careers advice from our Membership and Education Department
• Exclusive reduced subcription on the standard Graduate memberhsip fee (for up to two years) when transferring to graduate membership (only applicable within twelve months of completing your studies)
Student Member (free)
If you are studying, or are enrolled to study a course accredited or recognised by the Institution that will lead to the Chartered, Associate-membership or Technician grades, you can apply to join the Institution (for free) as a Student Member. Membership includes complimentary online access to The Structural Engineer.
You can apply online by clicking here.
Limited Student Member (free)
If you are a student, but not studying an accredited or recognised course you can apply to be a Limited Student Member (complimentary online access to The Structural Engineer is provided). Examples of when this may be applicable are as follows:
You are currently working towards an apprenticeship in a related field. Although these courses are not currently accredited they could lead towards Technician membership.
You are not enrolled on a course accredited or recognised by the Institution (courses not recognised include, but are not limited to, A levels or equivalent qualifications) but you intend to study structural or civil engineering at a higher level.
Limited Student membership is an appropriate stop-gap until you commence your further study.
Please note that if your course is not accredited or recognised you may be required to have your academic qualifications assessed by the Institution should you wish to transfer to Graduate membership
upon the completion of your studies. You can apply online by clicking here
ment you'll need to complete Form SE and enclose the appropriate supporting documentation and payment.
Currently engaged in paid employment: £141
Currently a Student Member (or Limited Student Member) who has recently completed study and wishes to transfer to the grade of Student Member in Employment, and joins with 12 months of completing their studies will receive a discount on the standard subscription for up to two years:
1st year: £47
2nd year: £94
If a candidate does not apply for Student Member in Employment within 12 months of completing their studies they will be required to pay the full annual subscription of £141.
Pro rata payments
We operate a pro rata system for membership fees. As such you will only pay for the remaining months of the year in which you apply.
Why become a student member? ↓
I've been a student member before, how can I reinstate? ↓