Starting a Young Members Group
What is a Young Members Group?
We have nearly 12,000 members under the age of 35 – something we’re really proud of. We are keen to harness the energy, enthusiasm and skills of these future engineering stars – and Young Members Groups are a great way to do just that. Any Regional Group can set one up.
Young Members Groups help organise technical, social and professional activities which are fun, informative and tailored for younger structural engineering students and graduates, whose needs are naturally quite different from more established engineers.
They are a great way for younger members to establish a local network, share knowledge, and provide information and advice on Institution membership.
You only need five or six members to start, and helping to set one up is great for your CV or resume.
How do I set up a Young Members Group?
- Have a think about some activities that could be good for young members in your area.
- Discuss with your Regional Group Committee and seek support for a Young Members Group
- Pick an enthusiastic Chairperson and form a core group (spreading the word among your contacts.)
- Start with a relaxed social event like a meal.
- Contact HQ and let us know you’re up and running! We’ll be happy to help with support and ideas.
What sort of activities should we have?
Really whatever you think is right for your Group’s needs – but a few ideas include:
- Talks and/or workshops for undergraduates – on student membership and careers
- Site visits to interesting projects
- Specialist technical lectures
- Talks from invited speakers: e.g. talks on internships and work experience from engineering firms
- Competitions and Awards (for best papers, outstanding achievement by a young member etc.)
- Social events, like a pub quiz
- Anything else you can think of!
What kind of support can we get?
We can list your up and coming events on your Regional Group page – all you need to do is fill out a Regional Group Event Form and email it to Regional@istructe.org.
We can also help with publicising your work. Local newspapers love to hear about education activities and other outreach work. Send us some high-quality images with details as soon as possible after the event and we’ll feature it on the Institution website and help you find local media contacts . PR Exec Jon Wallace is the best contact.
Interested in setting up a Young Members Group in your region?
Consult your Regional Group Chair. You can also contact The Institution’s Young Members’ Panel (YMP), which represents young members’ interests across the Institution. Just contact the panel secretary for information and support.