Advisory Group on Temporary Structures
About the group
To access the files, you must be a member of the Advisory Group on Temporary Structures group.
The third edition of Temporary Demountable Structures: guidance on procurement, design and use was published in May 2007. This guide has been issued to all local authorities in England and Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland with an endorsement from the Department for Communities and Local Government, the Scottish Building Standards Agency or the Department of Finance and Personnel in Northern Ireland as appropriate. A fourth edition is currently being developed, with the anticipated completion date being subject to time frames associated with the forthcoming revision of the CDM Regulations.
The terms of reference of the Group are:
- To keep Temporary Demountable Structures: guidance on procurement, design and use (3rd Edition) under review and advise the Institution of any future need for additional or revised guidance related to temporary structures for leisure events.
- To collate information about experience in applying the guidance and, where appropriate, disseminate it to the industry.
- To consider how the guidance might be promoted in Europe and elsewhere.
- To promote best practice in relation to the design and use of temporary structures for leisure events.
- Fairground structures are excluded from the AGOTS remit even though they are temporary structures erected for leisure events.
- To consider whether any specific guidance is required for retractable seating with regard to aspects of these structures where none is currently available.
The Chairman of the Advisory Group on Temporary Structures is Peter Hind.
Membership of the Group includes representatives of:
- Chartered Institute of Environmental Health (CIEH)
- Health and Safety Executive (HSE)
- Institute of Licensing
- Institution of Civil Engineers (ICE)
- Institution of Structural Engineers
- Local Authority Building Control (LABC)
- MUTA (formerly The Performance Textiles Association)
- Professional Lighting and Sound Association (PLASA)
- Sports Ground Safety Authority (SGSA)
- The Production Services Association (PSA)
For further information please contact the secretary.