Undergraduate Research Grants
The Undergraduate Research Grant Scheme aims to support challenging and satisfying research worldwide at undergraduate level. These grants, funded by the Institution’s Research Fund, support research projects carried out during term-time as part of a degree programme.
The 2017/18 Scheme is now closed for applications - the next call will be in March 2018. Go to Previous Award Winners to view currently funded projects.
Up to 7 grants of £800 are available each year to be paid in 2 installments:
- £600 to cover project costs (this includes: equipment, consumables and software licenses) - payable at the beginning of the project
- £200 to the student - payable when the deliverables have been received
How to apply
- All applications must be submitted in English by the supervisor using the grant application form. (You will need to download and save a copy of the application form before you can complete it).
- Applications should be made for a particular project idea, to be carried out in the subsequent academic year
- If the application is successful, the supervisor then selects a suitable student(s) to undertake the project
- The timing of the project is intended to coincide with the university's usual arrangements for term time undergraduate projects that are assessed for a degree
Applicants will be advised of outcome in the last week of June 2017.
Both UK and international applications are eligible.
For a research project to be eligible for an Undergraduate Research Grant it must be:
- Focused on a structural engineering topic
- Undertaken during term time in the last or penultimate year of undergraduate study and before graduation
- Part of the assessed work of an undergraduate degree programme (BSc, BEng or MEng) in civil or structural engineering
- Undertaken by an individual student or as a joint project with two students
Please note that:
- Postgraduate studies (MSc and PhD) are not eligible
- Only one application can be submitted by each member of academic staff per year
The following criteria will be used in assessing applications:
- Extent of innovation
- Impact on practice
- Feasibility for a student to conduct the project within a short time frame
- Likelihood of expected outcome to provide scope for further research
- Applications that address the priorities of the Industry Focussed Research Challenge will receive additional credit in the initial selection of grant winners. The current priority themes are given on the Institution's Research page.
Conditions of the grant
- On being awarded a grant, it is incumbent on the supervisor to select a suitable student to undertake the project, provide the required supervision and arrange the necessary university resources for the successful execution of the project.
- Details of grant holders and their supervisors will appear on the Institution's website and in email and social media communications, together with the following project details: the aims, method and benefits as stated on the application form, and the executive summary and poster.
- The student must agree to submit an A1 size poster highlighting the main features of the project, and an executive summary of 200 to 300 words (relating, where possible, the project outputs to practice or further research required), to The Institution of Structural Engineers within two months of completing the project.
- The grant is awarded to a named supervisor for a specific project as detailed on the application. Grants are not transferable to other supervisors or projects.
- Any changes in circumstances that would affect the undertaking of the proposed project should be made known to the Technical Department at the earliest opportunity.
Required project deliverables
The following two deliverables are to be submitted within two months of completing the project:
- An A1 poster highlighting the main features of the project
- An executive summary of 200 to 300 words (relating, where possible, the project outputs to practice or further research required)
Prize for deliverables
All posters will be judged with the following prizes awarded:
Take a look the previous award winners
- First prize: engraved plaque, certificate, news story, and poster displayed at the next Young Researchers' Conference
- Runner-up: certificate
Contact the technical department (email@example.com