Institution of Structural Engineers > Education > Checking your qualifications

Checking your qualifications

Accredited degree

A degree in civil or structural engineering from a university course accredited by the Institution through the Joint Board of Moderators or an Institution-approved equivalent qualification. Visit the Joint Board of Moderators website for a list of accredited courses.

Recognised degree

If you have an academic degree that has not been accredited by the Institution via the Joint Board of Moderators, you may still qualify to apply to become a Chartered or Associate-Member if the degree is recognised by one of these three international mutual recognition agreements:

Details of all international mutual recognition agreements are provided by the Engineering Council. You will need to determine whether your course is accredited under UK-SPEC or whether your academic qualifications fall under previous Engineering Council regulations e.g. Standards and Routes to Registration (SARTOR). This will be based on when you started your course.

If you have an academic qualification from a course that is not accredited by the Institution or noted under a mutual recognition agreement, you can still qualify to become a member by applying for an academic assessment.

All of the pages on this website are the copyright © of The Institution of Structural Engineers.

The Institution of Structural Engineers, International HQ, 47-58 Bastwick Street, London, EC1V 3PS, United Kingdom
Tel: +44 (0)20 7235 4535 Fax: +44 (0)20 7235 4294
Registered with the Charity Commission for England and Wales No. 233392 and in Scotland No. SC038263
Follow us on: Twitter Facebook LinkedIn Youtube The Structural Engineer Jobs