Applications to the Excellence in Structural Engineering Education Award 2018 have now closed
This international award recognises and rewards university-level teams or individuals who deliver and develop high-quality structural engineering education with a £1,000 award.
The Institution of Structural Engineers is committed to improving graduate understanding of structural behaviour. This Award rewards the development of innovative philosophies and techniques to improve student learning.
Winners are considered for publication in The Structural Engineer.
Previous winners have addressed subjects such as:
Applications for the Award are now closed. Deadline for applications was 17:00 BST, 20 April 2018. Submissions will be assessed in May and winners invited to the prestigious Annual People and Papers Awards Luncheon on 7 June 2018. Selected awards will feature at the Institution’s Academics’ Conference on 12 September 2018.
The submission may cover any aspect of the learning or teaching of structural behaviour on any bachelor’s or taught master’s course. The submission should describe one or more of the following:
- Developments in learning or teaching philosophies and their impact on learning outcomes
- Learning tools and physical or electronic models for use in lectures, tutorials or laboratory classes
- Methods of demonstrating or teaching specific concepts of structural behaviour
- Self learning activities for students
- Methods of assessment
- Course design
Submissions will be assessed by the Institution’s Education Committee. The assessment criteria will include:
- Innovation in teaching to improve learning
- Evidence of effectiveness in improving the learning outcomes of students
- Integration of the specific improvement into an overall scheme of learning / teaching
Format of submission
Award winning submissions may be eligible for publication in The Structural Engineer, subject to peer review.
To facilitate this process, submissions should be to the following specification:
- Text in Word
- Figures in electronic format
- Pictures in TIF or similar format with a definition of at least 400dpi
Submissions should fit the page layout of The Structural Engineer, which requires the following:
- One page - 1,000 words
- Two pages - 2,000 words
- Three pages - 3,000 words
- Full paper - a maximum of 7,000 words
In assessing the above recommended word limits, allowance should be made for 250 words per illustration.
By making the submission, the author(s) warrants that they are the originators of the content put forward and that they are either the owners of the copyright of all material and agree to publication, or that they have the permission of the copyright holders for publication, by the Institution both on paper or electronically.
Any queries should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.