Excellence in Structural Engineering Education Award 2018
This international award recognises the high-quality university-level teaching of structural engineering.
It is presented to successful individuals or university departmental teams who demonstrate a commitment to the highest standards of teaching in structural engineering and a drive to develop exciting and innovative philosophies and techniques to improve student learning. The scheme is open to both member and non-member academics and teams.
2018 award winner
||Closed until February 2019
||One individual or education team at university level
An invitation to contribute to The Structural Engineer
Selected winners will also be featured at the Institution’s Annual Academics’ Conference
||Text in Word
Figures in electronic format
Pictures in TIF or similar format with a definition of at least 400dpi
Submissions should fit the page layout of The Structural Engineer.
Previous award winners
2017 award winner
- Commendation: George Fereday for his paper The importance of making: Haptic feedback & intuition in the teaching of structures in Architecture for group teaching work with second year undergraduates at Cass School of Architecture, London Metropolitan University.
2016 award winners
- Tim Stratford for his paper 'Experiments in Learning Design - Creating space for progression and continuity in design education' and work at The University of Edinburgh.
- Commendations: Martin Gillie for his paper First Year Structures Teaching – Changing Demands and his work at The University of Manchester, and the University of Leeds Structures Group for their paper Use of the Integrated Design Project (IDP) to Enhance Understanding of Structural Behaviour and their work at The University of Leeds.
2015 award winners
- Jonathan Haynes and Neil Currie for their paper Outcomes from applying the inverted classroom to a first year structures module and their work at The University of Salford.
- Commendations: Martin Crapper, Alison Furber, Martin Gillie and Tim Stratford for their paper Teaching Skills for Conceptual Design – A New Approach and their work at the The University of Edinburgh and The University of Manchester, and Dr Stylianos Yiatros for his paper Year 1 Integrated Design for Civil Engineers at the Cyprus University of Technology: Designing, Analyzing, Building & Testing model structures and his work at Cyprus University of Technology.