This course offers an introduction to base and loadings Eurocodes and timber design to Eurocode 5.
By the end of the course, you should be able to:
- Recognise the basics of designing timber elements to Eurocode 5
- Compare and contrast the design methods of BS 5268 and Eurocode 5
- Assess the intricacies involved in designing timber elements to Eurocode 5
- Appraise the wood technology and scientific research behind certain clauses of Eurocode 5
- Use the peripheral standards and further commercial information to design with Eurocode 5
- Use Eurocode 5 for practical design situations
Keerthi Ranasinghe is the Principal Structural Engineer & Eurocodes Consultant for Exova BM TRADA, representing TRADA on the British Standards Institution (BSI) committees B/525/5 (Timber), B/525/1 (Actions) and B/525/-/32 (Fire). Keerthi is also the UK representative on several working groups of the European Committee for Standardization, as well as being a member of its two technical bodies.
Keerthi is also the author of the Eurocode 5 version of the popular TRADA publication Span Tables, is the expert behind TRADA’s Eurocode 5 online software suite, and is the expert commentator on BSI’s Eurocodes online initiative.
Before joining TRADA, Keerthi worked as a university senior lecturer, practised as a structural engineer in London, and was a visiting lecturer at Surrey University.
Graduate to very senior and managing engineers.
Familiarity with timber engineering may be beneficial, but is not essential.
Eurocode 5: Connections and Advanced Topics of Timber Design course is being run on the following day, 27 April 2018 – a discount is available if both courses are booked together.