This course delivers key advice and guidance on seismic design of structures to Eurocode 8 as well as the application of the Eurocode. Emphasis is placed on reinforced concrete buildings although the concepts are widely applicable.
By the end of the course, you should be able to:
- Describe E/Q damages and identify their causes
- Apply principles of conceptual design of E/Q-resistant structures in practice
- Appreciate ground motions and geotechnical aspects in structural seismic design
- Apply performance requirements and compliance criteria for various types of buildings
- Select models and methods of analysis of buildings for seismic actions
- Carry out equivalent static analysis of simple buildings
- Carry out safety verifications
- Carry out simple structural element design and detail
Professor Costas Georgopoulos is Chair in Structural Engineering Practice and Head of Civil Engineering at Kingston University London. He is also a practising chartered civil and structural engineer with many years’ unique multi-sector experience. Costas’ expertise in seismic design includes conventional RC Framed Buildings (Greece) and state-of-the-art structures (Trident Submarine Refitting Facility at Rosyth and Sizewell B Nuclear Power Station, UK). He is also a member of the BSI National Expert Committee for Eurocode 8.
Structural and civil practising engineers seeking guidance on the application of Eurocode 8, graduates undertaking their initial professional development, and students, researchers and academics with limited seismic design experience.
No previous experience in dynamics is required.
Email your request to firstname.lastname@example.org before the course, attaching your Eventbrite ticket as proof of participation.
Manual for the seismic design of steel and concrete buildings to Eurocode 8
Many of our courses have an associated, Institution-published manual or guide. Enjoy an exclusive 50% discount on a printed copy of the publication when you attend this course.
Don't delay booking your place - if we have not received enough bookings to break even one month before the date of the course, we will have to cancel it.