This two day course introduces the seismic design of civil engineering structures, covering the basics of structural dynamics and engineering seismology. The course will focus specifically on seismic loading and design codes, design principles and analysis for seismic loading, and design and detailing of structural members. Advanced topics like seismic isolation and performance-based design will also be addressed.
By the end of the course, you should be able to:
- Identify situations where earthquake loading must be included in the design of structures and how to define this loading
- Understand the basic principles of seismic design and select appropriate performance requirements for structures subjected to earthquake loads
- Select an appropriate structural configuration for a building situated in a seismic zone
- Analyse a building for combined service and seismic loading
- Design and detail reinforced concrete structures
- Design and detail steel and composite structures and detail them for adequate seismic performance
- Design seismically isolated structures
Professor Andreas Kappos is Professor of Civil Engineering and Director of the Research Centre for Civil Engineering Structures at City, University of London. He works on analysis procedures for structures subjected to earthquake loading, and has developed several methods and models for seismic assessment of these structures.
Professor Cedric D’Mello is Professor of Structural Engineering at City, University of London. His research work is in very large-scale testing, with a focus on composite structures. His current research activity is on long span floors, particularly the ultra slim floor beam.
Dr Agathoklis Giaralis is a Senior Lecturer in Structural Engineering at City, University of London, where he leads the Structural Dynamics Research Group. The group focuses on nonlinear stochastic dynamics approaches, signal analysis techniques, and seismic structural design and assessment.
Civil or structural engineers involved in the design of structures (only buildings can be covered within the available time).
Participants should be familiar with the principles of structural design and the basics of structural dynamics.
Manual for the seismic design of steel and concrete buildings to Eurocode 8
Many of our courses have an associated, Institution-published manual or guide. Enjoy an exclusive 50% discount on a printed copy of the publication when you attend this course.
Email your request to email@example.com before the course, attaching your Eventbrite ticket as proof of participation.
Don't delay booking your place - if we have not received enough bookings to break even one month before the date of the course, we will have to cancel it.