This two day course helps experienced designers take their conceptual design skills to the next level. There will be a focus on understanding client needs, generating and iteratively developing ideas, effective decision-making in design,and managing design teams.
By the end of this course, you should be able to:
- Characterise the design process and describe how each stage requires different skills and attitudes
- Describe how conceptual design differs from detailed design and the consequences of these differences for how design is carried out
- Use techniques for understanding the underlying need behind a client brief
- Describe a model for idea generation and use this to lead a design team through the creative process
- Understand the relationship between modelling, testing and the design brief, and use this to establish an effective iterative design process
Oliver Broadbent is an expert facilitator and trainer in design thinking for the built environment. He is Director of the engineering education and training consultancy Think Up. He also works with universities to develop innovative
approaches to curriculum design and delivery. Oliver has co-authored a series of good practice teaching guides for the Royal Academy of Engineering.
Structural engineers with at least five years’ experience in practice and experience of managing other people as part of the design process.
Don't delay booking your place - if we have not received enough bookings to break even one month before the date of the course, we will have to cancel it.