This course presents practical guidance on key aspects of preliminary scheme development and detailed scheme design in structural steelwork.
By the end of the course, you should be able to:
- Compare steel construction options available at preliminary scheme development and determine the optimum design solution
- Apply a simple methodology for preliminary sizing of members to enable budget costing to be developed
- Judge the significance of steel grade and subgrade for structural steelwork and how to specify them
- Describe the responsibilities for different parties under CE Marking
- Describe key aspects of robustness and corrosion protection
- Design for fire and assess the benefits of critical temperature calculation for fire protection
- Identify resources available to assist with the use of structural steelwork in construction
Richard Dixon is a chartered engineer who has worked in the steel industry for the last 19 years. Before partnering with Steel for Life, he worked for British Steel/Corus/Tata Steelin various roles.Recently, he led the Structural Advisory Service at Tata Steel in the joint venture with the BCSA, leading the team of structural engineers responsible for the promotion of efficient design in structural steelwork to the UK construction industry.
Primarily, structural engineers, but the course has been structured to concentrate on good practice in steel construction rather than focus on how to complete design calculations.
Familiarity with steel construction would be helpful, but is not essential.
Many of our courses have an associated, Institution-published manual or guide. Enjoy an exclusive 50% discount on a printed copy of the publication when you attend this course.
Manual for the design of steelwork building structures to Eurocode 3
Email your request to email@example.com before the course, attaching your Eventbrite ticket as proof of participation.
Don't delay booking your place - if we have not received enough bookings to break even one month before the date of the course, we will have to cancel it.