This course covers the appraisal of all types of existing building structures. The focus will be on initial visual appraisals, desktop assessments of structures and developing scopes for further non-destructive and intrusive investigations, including the use of new survey technologies.
By the end of the course, you should be able to:
- Appraise an existing structure using visual techniques coupled with your knowledge of ‘how structures work’
- Identify the nature, type and age of a building structure – and how best to source information on building structures
- Recognise the current condition of a building structure and the key structural issues affecting the nature of the project going forward
- Set out recommendations for further investigation
- Recognise how buildings were historically designed and specified – and what problems/limitations some structures may inherently have
Mike Greenhalgh BSc (Hons) CEng MICE MIStructE, now works as an independent consultant following a career in engineering firms with national construction organisations. Over the years he has gained knowledge and experience of existing commercial and public buildings, bridges, process and other industrial facilities, in regard of their refurbishment, adaption, remodelling, extension and upgrade.
Graduates through to recently chartered engineers who wish to improve their ability to appraise existing structures.
None. However, a familiarity with the Institution’s Appraisal of existing structures 3rd ed is recommended.
- Appraisal of existing structures 3rd ed.
- Guide to surveys and inspections of buildings and associated structures
Many of our courses have an associated, Institution-published manual or guide. Enjoy an exclusive 50% discount on a printed copy of the publications when you attend this course.
Email your request to email@example.com before the course, attaching your Eventbrite ticket as proof of participation.
Please note change to date published in CPD 2019 brochure.
Don't delay booking your place - if we have not received enough bookings to break even one month before the date of the course, we will have to cancel it.