Our forums are intended to allow both structural engineers and non-structural engineers to discuss the matters which affect them, obtain help with any queries and act as a useful way in which to communicate.

For more information, please visit the I need help or frequently asked questions areas.

Q&A Public forum. Ask a question!
Institution Forums > Q&A > Foundation Design View modes: 
User avatar
Site User
Site User - 02/05/2019 10:32:20
Foundation Design
Hi All,
I have a two story house seperated by a party wall and I am working out the foundation sizes for the properties before they are built. I have a ground bearing strength of 100KN/m^2, so I have calculated the party wall to be taking a load of 60kN/m^2 on either side of the party wall. Does this mean I need to calculate the foundation as either
(120kN/m^2 /100KN/m^2) = 1.2m wide foundation because the two houses share the same foundation or should I use 60KN/m^2 / 100KN/m^2 = 600mm standard strip foundation?

PLEASE NOTE: Users seeking advice on home improvements or adaptations should consult a structural engineer using our Building Confidence service, where you can locate a trustworthy professional near you and get the advice you need to ensure your works are safe and secure. No advice provided within the forum can be guaranteed by the Institution, neither can it be a substitute for a consultation on site.

It is important that before using any of the Institution forums, that you have read and understood our complete terms and conditions of use.

All of the pages on this website are the copyright © of The Institution of Structural Engineers.

The Institution of Structural Engineers, International HQ, 47-58 Bastwick Street, London, EC1V 3PS, United Kingdom
Tel: +44 (0)20 7235 4535 Fax: +44 (0)20 7235 4294
Registered with the Charity Commission for England and Wales No. 233392 and in Scotland No. SC038263
Follow us on: Twitter Facebook LinkedIn Youtube The Structural Engineer Jobs