The Structural Engineer > Archive > Volume 1 (1923) > Issues > Issue 3 > Western Counties Branch Report of the First Meeting
Name of File 4191-01-03.pdf cached at 12/12/2017 06:27:04 - with 6 pages. pdfPath: E:\k9.istructe.org\CMS\webtest\files\fd\fdc8062f-f0a4-4b94-92bc-eec4a8024cb8.pdf. thumbPath: E:\k9.istructe.org\CMS\webtest\files\pdfthumbs\fdc8062f-f0a4-4b94-92bc-eec4a8024cb8_1.png. objDoc: 1 - True. objPreview.Log: . strFileName: fdc8062f-f0a4-4b94-92bc-eec4a8024cb8_1.png

Members/subscribers must be logged in to view this article

Western Counties Branch Report of the First Meeting

The first meeting, since its inauguration, of the newly formed Western Counties branch of the Institution of Structural Engineers was held on Saturday afternoon, 24th February, 1923, at Bristol University. This was preceded by a visit of inspection to the new buildings of the University in course of erection. The members and a number of friends, making a party of about 50, assembled at the top of Park Street, and by the kind permission of the architects, Messrs. Oatley and Lawrence, were conducted over the new buildings, and were able to see the progress that has been made, and were furnished with a number of particulars that might also be of interest to the members generally. The new buildings lie to the south of the earlier buildings of the University, and are grouped around a Quadrangle at the back, and a forecourt in the front towards Queen’s Road. The most prominent feature from the street is the tower, which has at present reached rather over a third of its ultimate height. The main entrance is in the base of the tower, and leads immediately into the entrance hall (75 ft. high to the fan vaulting) from which rise two parallel flights of stairs of easy ascent leading directly to the great hall, approached through a wide vestibule or crush space at the top of the stairs. This vestibule is to be vaulted in stone upon the same principle as the entrance hall. The body of the great hall measures 100 ft. by 50 ft. It is covered by a hammer beam roof of English oak, now in course of construction, and is provided with a recessed orchestra at its northern end and two superimposed recessed galleries at the opposite extremity.