The Structural Engineer > Archive > Volume 1 (1923) > Issues > Issue 5 > Inchinnan Opening Bridge
Name of File 4199-01-05.pdf cached at 20/05/2019 04:35:58 - with 2 pages. pdfPath: E:\\CMS\webtest\files\0c\0ca118d3-3a79-40db-9f34-c0289cd80246.pdf. thumbPath: E:\\CMS\webtest\files\pdfthumbs\0ca118d3-3a79-40db-9f34-c0289cd80246_1.png. objDoc: 1 - True. objPreview.Log: . strFileName: 0ca118d3-3a79-40db-9f34-c0289cd80246_1.png

Members/subscribers must be logged in to view this article

Inchinnan Opening Bridge

The new opening bridge over the River Cart at Inchinnan, near Renfrew, carries the principal road from Glasgow to Greenock and other west-coast ports, and is the only bridge over the Cart between Paisley and the Clyde, a distance of 3 miles. It provides an improved and widened navigation channel between Paisley and the River Clyde. The earliest attempt to improve the Cart navigation was made in 1753. The Cart Navigation Trust was formed in 1834, when the present swing bridge was erected over an artificial channel. The financial embarrassments of the Trust led to the undertaking becoming derelict in 1915. In 1920 power was granted to the Burgh of Paisley to improve the navigation-channel at Inchinnan and to replace the old swing bridge by a modern opening bridge. The widened channel has a clear width of 90 ft. and a depth of 21 ft. at high water length of about 250 ft. William Bertram Hall