The Structural Engineer > Archive > Volume 13 (1935) > Issues > Issue 1 > The History and Progress of Structural Engineering in the Present Century V. Municipal Building
Name of File 1616-13-01.pdf cached at 17/12/2017 02:21:29 - with 2 pages. pdfPath: E:\k9.istructe.org\CMS\webtest\files\26\26124e13-bc08-4808-9fe6-6aa239f3915b.pdf. thumbPath: E:\k9.istructe.org\CMS\webtest\files\pdfthumbs\26124e13-bc08-4808-9fe6-6aa239f3915b_1.png. objDoc: 1 - True. objPreview.Log: . strFileName: 26124e13-bc08-4808-9fe6-6aa239f3915b_1.png

Members/subscribers must be logged in to view this article

The History and Progress of Structural Engineering in the Present Century V. Municipal Building

DURING the present century structural engineering has made great strides in connection with works carried out by municipal authorities, civic centres, town halls, art galleries, baths and buildings of other types erected for Corporations or local authorities. At the end of the nineteenth century, these were built without any assistance from professional structural engineers under current by-laws, with thick walls to comply with the accepted schedules for specified lengths and heights. Floors were often of vaulted brickwork between heavy wrought iron joists, steel was just beginning to find its way into general use, and concrete was being adopted for horizontal surfaces, reinforced mostly with filler joists. There were, however, several brands of proprietary fireproof (so-called) floors on the market. Major E.C.P. Monson

Author(s): Deane, H J

Keywords: marine structures;fenders