The Structural Engineer > Archive > Volume 36 (1958) > Issues > Issue 4 > The reconstruction of Queen's Quay, Belfast
Name of File 2642-36-04.pdf cached at 11/12/2017 03:43:30 - with 7 pages. pdfPath: E:\k9.istructe.org\CMS\webtest\files\9e\9ee4905e-bf5b-4b47-9306-11925a57e75b.pdf. thumbPath: E:\k9.istructe.org\CMS\webtest\files\pdfthumbs\9ee4905e-bf5b-4b47-9306-11925a57e75b_1.png. objDoc: 1 - True. objPreview.Log: . strFileName: 9ee4905e-bf5b-4b47-9306-11925a57e75b_1.png

Members/subscribers must be logged in to view this article

The reconstruction of Queen's Quay, Belfast

QUEEN’S QUAY fronts the River Lagan north of Queen’s Bridge on the County Down side of Belfast Harbour (Fig. 1) and accommodates a large part of the coal traffic into the Port. In 1948 the Belfast Harbour Commissioners decided that that portion of the quay which lay north of any of the suggested sites for the proposed new road bridge across the river should be reconstructed to improve the coal handling facilities. This paper will deal with the construction of the first 1,250 feet of quay which was carried out between 1949 and 1951. R. J. N. Sweetnam

Author(s): Sweetnam, R J N

Keywords: queen's quay, belfast;construction work;wharfs;piles;reinforced concrete;piling