The Structural Engineer > Archive > Volume 45 (1967) > Issues > Issue 1 > The Reconstruction of the Craigellachie Bridge
Name of File 3025-45-01.pdf cached at 13/12/2017 03:42:39 - with 6 pages. pdfPath: E:\k9.istructe.org\CMS\webtest\files\09\091a9639-85a2-42b2-bf84-dab9f4fd8f6a.pdf. thumbPath: E:\k9.istructe.org\CMS\webtest\files\pdfthumbs\091a9639-85a2-42b2-bf84-dab9f4fd8f6a_1.png. objDoc: 1 - True. objPreview.Log: . strFileName: 091a9639-85a2-42b2-bf84-dab9f4fd8f6a_1.png

Members/subscribers must be logged in to view this article

The Reconstruction of the Craigellachie Bridge

The Craigellachie bridge, over the River Spey at Craigellachie, Banffshire, was originally designed and constructed in cast iron by Thomas Telford in 1814-15. It was reconstructed in 1963-64 to make it capable of carrying modern traffic not greater than 14 tons the bridge, it was essential to keep as much of the original character in weight. In addition, it was recognized that, in reconstructing as possible; when a new bridge is constructed nearby, the cast-iron bridge is to be restored to a condition which will enable it to be retained for as long as possible as a monument to Thomas Telford and his work. W.W. Lowson

Author(s): Lowson, W W