The Structural Engineer > Archive > Volume 65 (1987) > Issues > Issue 9 > The Emergence of Reinforced Concrete, 1750 - 1910
Name of File 5027-65-09.pdf cached at 11/12/2017 22:55:22 - with 8 pages. pdfPath: E:\k9.istructe.org\CMS\webtest\files\f5\f583c009-57a6-4209-bd98-b8f0aa9ff4f8.pdf. thumbPath: E:\k9.istructe.org\CMS\webtest\files\pdfthumbs\f583c009-57a6-4209-bd98-b8f0aa9ff4f8_1.png. objDoc: 1 - True. objPreview.Log: . strFileName: f583c009-57a6-4209-bd98-b8f0aa9ff4f8_1.png

Members/subscribers must be logged in to view this article

The Emergence of Reinforced Concrete, 1750 - 1910

It is suggested that the use of reinforced concrete based on scientific analysis began in the decade 1875-1885. Before that, the medium had been used intuitively, for about 30 years, with a wide range of cements. This use in its turn had developed from the need to provide structural iron with nonstructural fireproof encasement. From 1885 to 1910 there was a rapidIy increasing perception of the behaviour and potential of reinforced concrete. The paper foIIows the emergence of this new building medium, from the middle of the 18th century, when the intimately-bonded combination of metal and concrete of any form held no meaning in building, to 1910 when it had become universally known and was being used much in the manner accepted today and in most of the form now employed. Professor John W. de Courcy