The Structural Engineer > Archive > Volume 70 (1992) > Issues > Issue 8 > Les Collines Tête Défense
Name of File 5541-70-08.pdf cached at 15/12/2017 04:29:20 - with 9 pages. pdfPath: E:\k9.istructe.org\CMS\webtest\files\78\78197286-5100-4761-a99e-188e756ecc8a.pdf. thumbPath: E:\k9.istructe.org\CMS\webtest\files\pdfthumbs\78197286-5100-4761-a99e-188e756ecc8a_1.png. objDoc: 1 - True. objPreview.Log: . strFileName: 78197286-5100-4761-a99e-188e756ecc8a_1.png

Members/subscribers must be logged in to view this article

Les Collines Tête Défense

The history of the Tête Défense project La Défense, to the west of Paris, is situated at the end of the historical axis which begins at the Louvre and continues through the Place de la Concorde, following the Champs Elysées along the Rue de la Grande Armée out of the city. As long ago as 1931 a competition was held by the Département de la Seine for infrastructure improvements between the Arc de Triomphe and La Défense. However, because of the recession of the 1930s and World War II, the implementation of these schemes was not possible. It was not until 1956 that the plan for La Défense finally took shape. In order to regenerate economic development, the French Government decided to create a large business district on the outskirts of Paris. The extension of the Grand Axe towards La Défense was, for such a prestigious development, the obvious location that would capture the imagination of potential investors from the private sector. P. Terrell and H. Dutton

Author(s): Terrell, P;Dutton, H

Keywords: tete defense, les collines, paris;tete defense, le grand arch, paris;france;atria;grand nef, tete defense, paris;roofs;fire protection;design;glass;steel;beams;curved;arches;slabs;floors;bridges;reinforced concrete;trusses;connections;paints;intumescent coatings;building team