The Structural Engineer > Archive > Volume 72 (1994) > Issues > Issue 9 > The Institution Then and Now
Name of File 5760-72-09.pdf cached at 13/12/2017 14:48:29 - with 1 pages. pdfPath: E:\k9.istructe.org\CMS\webtest\files\14\143e59a5-2fb5-4ba5-b415-ddd743f0abba.pdf. thumbPath: E:\k9.istructe.org\CMS\webtest\files\pdfthumbs\143e59a5-2fb5-4ba5-b415-ddd743f0abba_1.png. objDoc: 1 - True. objPreview.Log: . strFileName: 143e59a5-2fb5-4ba5-b415-ddd743f0abba_1.png

Members/subscribers must be logged in to view this article

The Institution Then and Now

Although we are celebrating the 60th anniversary of the Charter being granted to the Institution, it should be remembered that the Institution started much earlier, with the formation of the Concrete Institute and the first meeting of its Council in the Smoking Room of the Ritz Hotel in July 1908. The years around the turn of the century were significant for the introduction of new materials and technologies into general UK practice, particularly reinforced concrete and steel frame buildings. It was entirely appropriate that a specialist body should be formed to meet the needs of those interested and involved in using these new methods and not surprising that the professional exchange should develop into a body for structural engineering as a whole. This came in 1922 when the Council of the Institute resolved to change the name to the Institution of Structural Engineers, with the first Council and Officers of the new-named body taking office in 1923 when the total membership was 1330.