The Structural Engineer > Archive > Volume 73 (1995) > Issues > Issue 17 > Kowloon Walled City Demolition
Name of File 5894-73-17.pdf cached at 15/12/2017 04:32:30 - with 1 pages. pdfPath: E:\k9.istructe.org\CMS\webtest\files\f7\f77ed772-c9b3-4cea-9a12-366501d778ee.pdf. thumbPath: E:\k9.istructe.org\CMS\webtest\files\pdfthumbs\f77ed772-c9b3-4cea-9a12-366501d778ee_1.png. objDoc: 1 - True. objPreview.Log: . strFileName: f77ed772-c9b3-4cea-9a12-366501d778ee_1.png

Members/subscribers must be logged in to view this article

Kowloon Walled City Demolition

A settlement at Kowloon City has existed since the Sung Dynasty when it was used as a military base to manage a salt trade. In 1688 the City became fortified when a signal station was established. About 1810, a small fort was built at the City; its strategic, administrative and economic position remained relatively insignificant until the commencement of British administration of Hong Kong Island in 1841. Since then, the Chinese increased their presence at the City and by 1847 a perimeter wall had been built, and the ‘Kowloon Walled City’ came into being. J.W. Fearns

Author(s): Fearns, J W

Keywords: demolition;kowloon walled city, hong kong;history