The Structural Engineer > Archive > Volume 85 (2007) > Issues > Issue 20 > Refurbishment of Kom Tong Hall as Dr Sun Yat-sen Museum
Name of File 7458-85-20.pdf cached at 17/12/2017 14:03:41 - with 7 pages. pdfPath: E:\k9.istructe.org\CMS\webtest\files\da\dac3df20-6bf9-4dda-a62e-ed46b93c1203.pdf. thumbPath: E:\k9.istructe.org\CMS\webtest\files\pdfthumbs\dac3df20-6bf9-4dda-a62e-ed46b93c1203_1.png. objDoc: 1 - True. objPreview.Log: . strFileName: dac3df20-6bf9-4dda-a62e-ed46b93c1203_1.png

Members/subscribers must be logged in to view this article

Refurbishment of Kom Tong Hall as Dr Sun Yat-sen Museum

The Kom Tong Hall, situated on Castle Road of the Mid-Levels Hong Kong Island, was erected between 1914-1917. The Edwardian, classical style building is majestic and magnificent, and is amongst the very few survivors in Hong Kong dating back to the early 20th Century. In 2004, the Hong Kong SAR Government acquired this historic building for use as the Dr Sun Yat-sen Museum. This paper outlines the process whereby the structural engineer helped to refurbish the building for use as a museum, while preserving its original splendour. A mandate of minimal intervention was adopted by a strong multi-disciplinary team which has applied its diverse knowledge and skills to meet the stringent and yet conflicting requirements. Wong Chi-tong