Associate - AIStructE
Qualifying as an Associate of the Institution of Structural Engineers is a demonstration of personal achievement and professional competence. Associates enjoy the full range of membership benefits including the formal recognition of professional status by being entitled to use the designation AIStructE.
This is a Chartered grade and Associates may be eligible to register with the Engineering Council and use the CEng designation having satisfied the relevant criteria. This grade should not be confused with the Associate-Member (AMIStructE) grade which is at the IEng level.
To become an Associate of the Institution you will have to meet the following criteria:
- hold either an Institution-accredited degree in civil or structural engineering, or an Institution-approved equivalent qualification. For details refer to the academic requirements for Associates.
- be engaged in the profession of structural engineering
- be in a qualified grade of membership of an Institution-approved body, having undertaken a qualifying process deemed by the Institution to be equivalent to the standard required of a Chartered Structural Engineer
- have passed the Chartered Membership Professional Review Interview or an Institution-approved equivalent.
The Institution of Structural Engineers has mutual recognition agreements (MRA) with a number of international organisations. These agreements are intended to encourage, enable and extend professional, social and commercial links; and to assist in advancing the mobility of engineering practitioners and the quality of engineering practice globally. An MRA exempts a candidate of part or all of the criteria/requirements (dependant on the individual agreement) to become a member of the Institution.
Traditionally we have accepted applications from candidates who are registered as:
- CPEng in the Structural College with the Engineers Australia - MIEAust
- CPEng with the Institution of Professional Engineers New Zealand - MIPENZ
- Chartered with Institution of Engineers Singapore - MIES
- Pr Eng with Engineering Council South Africa (ECSA) and Chartered with South African Institute of Civil Engineers - MSAICE
If you are registered as a chartered engineer in a country not listed above, please email us on email@example.com
Mandatory reporting of Continuing Professional Development (CPD)
All members elected to a professional grade (Technician
, Associate, Chartered Member
) must comply with the Institution’s mandatory reporting of CPD
Engineering Council fees (optional):
- Application fee: £95
- Annual subscription: £331
How to apply
- Registration for CEng £50.70
- CEng (if already CEng registered): £39.00
There is no application deadline for this grade of membership and candidates may therefore submit an application at any point.
To apply for Associate, you will need to complete Form A
and submit the relevant supporting documentation as listed on the application together with the appropriate fees.