Candidates wishing to apply through the agreement with Engineering New Zealand should review the details of the agreement to confirm their eligibility to proceed.
The Agreement facilitates the following:
- Chartered Structural Engineers of the Institution of Structural Engineers, who are in good standing and who have undertaken the Institution of Structural Engineers’ Professional Review Interview and who are eligible for Chartered Engineer status in the United Kingdom, will automatically be able to transfer to Membership of Engineering New Zealand in the class of Professional Member (CMEngNZ) provided that they apply using the appropriate Engineering New Zealand application form.
- Registration of Members from the Institution of Structural Engineers, who are registered Chartered Engineers (UK) with the Engineering Council, as CPEng (New Zealand) will require them to provide evidence that they meet the competencies of a Chartered Professional Engineer (New Zealand). MIStructE members of the Institution of Structural Engineers with CEng registration will be able to present these credentials as valid evidence for seeking to achieve entry to CPEng in New Zealand. The weight given to membership of the Institution of Structural Engineers and Engineering Council registration will decrease according to the time which has elapsed since the assessment and election of the Member.
- Professional Members of Engineering New Zealand (CMEngNZ) who have undertaken an Engineering New Zealand competence assessment, who are working in the field of structural engineering, who are resident outside the EU will be eligible for entry into the AIStructE grade and upon election may refer to themselves as Chartered Structural Engineers, provided that they apply using the appropriate application Form A. This is a Chartered grade and Associates are eligible to register with the Engineering Council and use the CEng designation.
- Engineering New Zealand Professional Members who have undertaken an Engineering New Zealand competence assessment and who are of CPEng (New Zealand) status may apply to the Institution of Structural Engineers to sit the Chartered Membership Examination without the necessity of undergoing a Professional Review Interview, provided that they apply using the appropriate application Form M/MRA. Those who are successful will be eligible to be MIStructE and may refer to themselves as Chartered Structural Engineers. Once elected candidates may choose to register with the Engineering Council to use the CEng designation.
- AIStructE and MIStructE members who have continued to demonstrate a major responsibility in the practice of structural engineering will be eligible for consideration to transfer to FIStructE, subject to the normal peer assessment for transfer to Fellow, by using the appropriate application Form F.
Engineering New Zealand, Level 6, NEC House, 40 Taranaki Street, Wellington, New Zealand. Telephone: +64 4 473 9444. www.engineeringnz.org