Associate-Member - AMIStructE
Associate-Members are most commonly found within a design team - of which they form an integral part. They will be able to solve structural engineering problems and contribute to the production of viable structural design solutions using appropriate methods of analysis, and be able to exercise independent technical judgement and management skills.
Associate-Members enjoy the full range of membership benefits including the formal recognition of professional status by being entitled to use the designation AMIStructE. Associate-Membership can be viewed as a stepping stone to more senior grades of membership.
Additionally, you may wish to gain further professional registration with the Engineering Council and use the designation; Incorporated Enginer (IEng).
To become an Associate-Member you will have to meet the following criteria:
- Hold either an Institution-accredited degree in civil or structural engineering, or an Institution-approved equivalent qualification. For details refer to the academic requirements for Associate-Membership.
- Successfully complete the Institution's Initial Professional Development (IPD), which consist of 13 core objectives set to bridge the gap between education and becoming a qualified Associate-Member.
- Attend and pass a Professional Review Interview (PRI) and the seven hour Associate-membership Exam.
Already IEng registered?
The Institution has a number of Mutual Recognition Agreements (MRAs) with other professional qualifying organisations. If you are already IEng registered with the Engineering Council through ICE, CIBSE, RINA, IIE, RAeS, IMechE or IMarEST you may submit an application to be considered for registration for the Institution's Associate-Membership Examination.
Please note: the submission of an application does not automatically register you for the examination.
You will not be required to submit evidence of your training and experience (IPD) or undergo the Institution's Professional Review Interview.
Mandatory reporting of Continuing Professional Development (CPD)
All members elected to a professional grade (Technician, Associate-Member, Associate, Chartered Member, Fellow) must comply with the Institution’s mandatory reporting of CPD policy.
N.B. Candidates are required to pay the Graduate/Student Member subscription (as appropriate) pending transfer to Associate-Member.
- Application fee: £95
- Interview fee (Individually Managed/Accredited Training Scheme/Retrospectively Collated): £155
- Late application fee: £150
- Examination fee: £370
- Annual subscription: £216
Engineering Council fees (optional):
- Registration as IEng £42.80
- IEng (if already IEng registered) £33.00
How to apply
To apply for Associate-Membership, you will need to complete the following documents and submit the relevant supporting documentation as listed on the application together with the appropriate fees: