Focus on Sustainability
Keep up to date on sustainability issues with guides and handy FAQs
The Institution is focusing on the topic of Sustainability this summer, with entirely refreshed sustainability information available in the website’s Resources Centre, accompanied by a new set of downloads and FAQs.
Drawing on the expertise of the Institution’s Sustainability Panel, the updated information will keep you up-to-date with this important technical topic, helping you discuss sustainability more confidently with your colleagues and clients, and influence sustainable practice in your projects.
Areas covered in the refreshed information include:
• Carbon – Embodied and Operational
• Internal Environment and Thermal mass
• Materials (Responsible Sourcing)
• Rating Tools
• Resource Efficiency
While FAQs cover:
• Why do structural engineers focus on materials?
• What are typical operational energy and carbon figures for buildings?
• How can we estimate the whole life carbon of infrastructure elements designed by structural engineers?
The updated information is part of a refresh of a number of technical topic areas on the website that will roll out over the coming year, as part of the Institution’s commitment to supporting members and disseminating knowledge about key structural engineering issues.
You can explore the new Sustainability pages here.
Keep an eye on the website for update to other technical topic areas and more ‘Focus On’ content.