President's visit to South Africa
2017 President, Ian Firth, attended a banquet to celebrate the 80th anniversary of the Joint Structural Division on 11 August.
The event took place at Country Club Johannesburg, Auckland Park. During the event Ian gave a talk entitled "Engineered Elegance - the Art of Bridge Design".
(L-R) Manglin Pillay, Ian Firth, Marelize Visser, Sundran Naicker and Institution of Structural Engineers Chief Executive, Martin Powell
Hosted by Joint Structural Division Chair, Marelize Visser, those attending included SAICE Chief Executive, Manglin Pillay and SAICE President, Sundran Naicker. Also in attendance were winners of top student awards including:
• Don Ainomugisha – University of Cape Town
• Mohamedjaffer Gulamhussein – University of Cape Town
• Trevor Dunn – Stellenbosch University
• Tinotendaishe Daniel Muzofa – Stellenbosch University
• Andre Swanepoel - Tshwane University of Technology
• Hendrik Louw – University of Pretoria
• Fathima Mota – University of KwaZulu-Natal
• Iksha Singh - University of KwaZulu-Natal
Ian presents a prize on the night
Our thanks to Ian Firth and Institution Chief Executive, Martin Powell, for helping us mark the anniversary with such a special event.