50 of the Institution's hugely popular Technical Guidance Notes are now available online - just £9 each from the Institution shop.
The Notes provide invaluable technical guidance to undergraduates and those in the early stages of their careers - and form an excellent foundation for any personal technical reference library.
Independently peer reviewed by The Structural Engineer Editorial Advisory Group, individual Notes have been downloaded over 78,000 times so far, with the most popular titles being:
• Notional loading
• Soil bearing capacity
• Designing a steel beam
• Principles of lateral stability
• Element size estimation
The Notes are divided into two levels: Level 1 focusses on engineering fundamentals, with topics including:
• Principles of design
• Visualisation of structures
• Moment distribution
• Introductions to topics including piling, masonry and structural glass.
Level 2 Notes are more complex, dealing with the design of elements like:
• Steel beams and columns
• Concrete slabs, beams and columns
• Reinforced concrete retaining walls and ground bearing slabs
• Design of timber posts and unrestrained timber beams
Explore the Notes via the Institution Shop.
Institution members access the Notes free via The Structural Engineer.
Back to news