A major refurbishment of the Grade II* listed Great Hall and Library Building. The work included a 279m2 extension to the existing library building, which is separated by a glass link. Two cavernous basement spaces totalling 1859m2 were added and linked directly to the historic building via new subterranean apertures.
The structural interventions carried out at Lincoln’s Inn Fields seamlessly weave two new buildings into the fabric of the original 1845 building.
Although much of the engineering efforts were in the new construction of a basement and extension building, the most challenging aspects were related to the complexity at the junctions of the modification of the existing building, to make best use of the space and to create the connectivity required by the client.
In these works, the engineers safeguarded the heritage and natural environment, taking time to painstakingly understand the buildings’ structural intricacies, resolve the structural interfaces, and making those junctions invisible whilst carefully monitoring the buildings throughout the works.
The visible scale of the new buildings and finished project belies a significant feat of engineering below the ground and behind the scenes.