In 1929, the City of Birmingham, together with the Rural District of Meriden and
the Urban District of Solihull, reached an agreement on the question of a trunk sewer
to be laid through the catchment area of the River Cole. The laying of such a sewer
enabled a large part of Meriden and Solihull to be drained effectively, solving the problem of the provision of public health services in the urbanised portion of these districts. It was found impossible to connect the sewer to the existing Outfall Works of the Birmingham Tame and Rea District Drainage Board, and it was therefore decided to erect a new Works, on land already owned by the Board, to which the sewer could conveniently discharge.
A. Goode and A.L. Percy