The AIStructE grade shows employers that you are a professional operating at the level of a Chartered Structural Engineer.
Enjoy MIStructE benefits
That means you enjoy exactly the same benefits as MIStructE members, for the same cost: access to a global community of engineering academics, researchers and professionals; career-long opportunities for learning and development; and unique, peer-reviewed technical resources.
Grow your knowledge
We offer you a range of events, training and resources to help you keep up to date with the latest technology, maintain your professional development, grow your business and expand your technical skills.
You are automatically eligible to apply for AIStructE if you hold the following designations:
MIEAust (CPEng in the Structural College with Engineers Australia - candidates must have undertaken an assessment in the Structural Engineering discipline. Membership of the Structural College through affiliation is not accepted)
MIPENZ (CPEng with Engineering New Zealand)
MIES (with the Institution of Engineers Singapore) and registered as a Professional Engineer (in the Civil Engineering discipline) with the Professional Engineers Board Singapore (PEB) in accordance with the Engineering Profession Act, 2000.
MSAICE - Chartered with the South African Institute of Civil Engineers and registered in terms of the Engineering Professions Act of 2000 as a Professional Engineer. You will need to pass our Professional Review interview.
Additionally you may apply via the recognition of Professional Qualifications (EU Exit) Regulations (2019) if you are a national of an EEA country or Switzerland with professional qualifications in structural engineering equivalent to the Institution’s Chartered level.
Establish that you have the right academic foundation. For this grade you will need to hold either:
If you are a professionally qualified engineer with another professional engineering body and you're unsure if you qualify for Associate, contact the membership team and discuss your options.
Submit evidence of your professional registration with the other recognised body.
Your application must contain the following documents, which need to be uploaded when completing the online process:
- Copy of your membership certificate from the Institution with which IStructE has an agreement
- Copy of your professional status certificate (eg CPEng status) in host country or membership of a particular discipline/college
- A recent (not older than 3 months) original letter from the other Institution confirming your membership and good standing, acceptability of your academic qualifications and that you were admitted to professional membership through their standard procedures (i.e. not through a mutual agreement with another organisation)
- Copy of degree certificates. If you do not meet our academic requirements, we may ask you to undergo an academic assessment.
- A CV detailing recent experience in the profession, including details of company names, addresses, dates of employment and positions held
Once you're ready to apply fill out the application form.
Your annual subscription:
Engineering Council fees (optional):
Registration for CEng: £57.02
CEng (if already CEng registered): £43.85
Other fee information:
If you apply during the year you may be eligible for pro-rata deductions.
Your fees can also be reduced if you have a low income, or if you are a member of another professional body. Contact the membership team for further details.