THE bridge about to be described replaces a wrought iron of four spans erected in 1852
at a cost of £11,000 - one of the spans being constructed as a drawbridge, to slide back over the abutment into a recess. This type of drawbridge proved unsatisfactory owing to the big frictional resistance to sliding. In 1882 the drawbridge was replaced by a swing span operated by hand, and this bridge was still in use until the present bridge was opened to traffic on May 1oth, 1940. The opening span was essential for the passage of river traffic in time of flood, as the river at this point is subject to considerable rise in level in flood, as much as 18ft. 9in. having been recorded.