Author: Khan, M A;Kemp, K O
First published: N/A
Standard: £9 + VAT
An IStructE account gives you access to a world of knowledge. Create a profile to receive details of our unique range of resources, events and training.
Added to basket
Khan, M A;Kemp, K O
The Institution welcomes as its President for the Session 1970-71 Dr. 0. A. Kerensky,
CBE, DSc, FRS, CEng, FIStructE, FICE, who takes office on 1 October and delivers his Presidential Address at an Ordinary Meeting at 6 pm that evening at 11 Upper Belgrave Street, London SWl.
Mr. Taylor, the author of this paper which is to be presented for discussion at the first Ordinary Meeting of the new Session at 6 pm on Thursday 8 October 1970 at the Institution of Structural Engineers, ll Upper Belgrave Street, London SWI, is a newly elected member of the Council. After obtaining a BSc(Eng) degree at Brighton Technical
College he joined A. E. Watson as structural designer in 1937. During the war he served in the Royal Engineers, as a sapper until 1941 when he was commissioned and sent to the Experimental Bridging Establishment; he then joined Field Company and soon afterwards Special Forces. When the war ended he remained with A.M.G. Trieste on Public Works until 1946 when he rejoined A. E. Watson as Technical Manager. Mr. Taylor spent a short period as a lecturer at his old college and in 1948 joined Costain John Brown Ltd. There followed a period with Tubewrights Ltd as a development engineer after which Mr. Taylor went to Stewarts and Lloyds Group, his present firm, which is now part of the British Steel Corporation, Tubes Division. During the past twenty years he has had a major hand in the development and establishment of structural engineering in connection with tubes and hollow sections, culminating in his most recent job, the subject of this paper, the Boeing 747 hangar at London Airport.
The Council has approved the formation of two new Special Study Groups as follows: