The author left school in 1954 and was a mechanical engineering apprentice for 1 year. In 1955 he began a structural/civil apprenticeship which was completed in 1959. His technical education followed ‘the hard way’, via ONC, HNC, and Supplementary Subject passes up to 1963. He was chartered into the Instituion of Structural Engineers in 1965 and into the Institution of Civil Engineers in 1967. From 1960 onwards he held postions of increasing responsibility in consulting, contracting, and management, and founded his own practice in 1969. Since then, with his partners, he has established offices in various parts of the UK and began to practise in multidisciplinary engineering in 1982. At present the practice is being extened to the Far East and has fluctuated in size in recent years between about 80 and 120 staff.