The department and the Instutition
The Department of Civil Engineering was established in 1943 under Professor W. Fisher
Cassie who, soon afterwards, chaired an ‘exploratory committee’ which led to the formation of the Northern Counties Branch of the Institution in 1947, when Professor Cassie himself was elected the first Branch Chairman. Thus the department has benefited from the close link with the Institution ever since its formative years, and has always regarded it as important to maintain a strong link with the Institution. David Lee, a Past President of the Institution, is our Visiting Professor in Structural Engineering. Two members of our staff serve on the Institution’s Northern Counties Branch Committee. The writer himself has twice served as Branch Chairman and is currently a member of Council and several committees, including the Executive Committee. Every year, the Northern Counties Branch holds on of its meetings at the department; and the events have been well supported by the students. In addition, the teaching staff attend many of the Branch meetings and set examination questions on the lectures, so that, in practice, every 3rd-year student attends on average two of the Branch meetings.
Professor F.K. Kong