The Blake Pier Pavilion was built in 1909 making it one of the earliest structural steel structures still surviving in Hong Kong. The Pavilion was dismantled in 1965 to make room for reclamation and then moved to Morse Park in 1966. In 2006, it was dismantled again and is now being re-erected at the new Stanley Pier. This paper describes the history of Blake Pier and its Pavilion. It tries to re-formulate the design approach current at the time of building and it then describes the structural aspects of the Pavilion’s re-location using the present day knowledge of
design and construction.
Wong Chi-tong, MSc(Eng), MIStructE, MICE, MHKIE, CEng
Leung Man-kit, BSc(Eng), LLB, BSC(PIR), PCLL, LLM, MBA, MPA, MSc(Eng), MIStructE, MICE, MHKIE, CEng, IRSE (PRC)
Liu Kin-ming, BEng, LLB, MPhil
Architectural Services Department, Hong Kong
Ma Koon-yiu, BSc(Eng), MSc(Eng), MICE, MHKIE
Formerly Architectural Services Department, Hong Kong