First published: N/A
Standard: £9 + VAT
An IStructE account gives you access to a world of knowledge. Create a profile to receive details of our unique range of resources, events and training.
Added to basket
We would draw the attention of our readers to an alteration which has been made in the "make-up" of the Journal this month; that is the presentation of such items as "Institution Notices" and "Branch Notices" as a separate insertion. This innovation has been made in response to a large number of requests from members. An increasing number of readers are having the twelve issues bound into one volume at the end of each year, and it was felt that the repetition of lists of names and addresses detracted from the value of The Structural Engineer as a scientific journal. Printed, as they will be in future, on coloured paper, and inserted in the middle of the Journal, these pages will be distinguished from those containing matter of more permanent interest, and the difference in colour will also serve to draw attention to the various notices issued by the Council and the Branch Secretaries. Moreover, when the journals are bound at the end of the year, these pages can be detached without mutilating any other part of the Journal.
V.-THREE BRIDGES OF SPECIAL INTEREST. (1) The Lebir Bridge This bridge consists of two 250 ft. spans over permanently running water, and three 100 ft. spans over normally dry ground, 50 ft. above low water level in the river, which has a catchment area of approximately 1,000 square miles, and is the largest of the tributaries entering the main Kelantan River. The construction of the bridge was under the charge of the Section Engineer, Manek Urai, in addition to his many other duties, in the persons successively of Mr. H. S. Haskins, Assoc.M.Inst.C.E., who did the setting-out and began the sinking of all the wells during 1924 (thereafter becoming Acting Divisional Engineer, Kelantan North); the author, who completed the bridge to the original plans and opened it to construction traffic, during 1925; and Mr. Lyndon V. Brady, Jun.I.E.Aust., who was responsible for the work of reconstruction in 1927, after the great flood of which the effects will be described. John Edwin Holmstrom
DELEGATES and visitors to the International Congress at Liege last year will be interested in the following particulars of the reconstruction of two famous bridges over the Meuse.