The golden thread will hold the information that those responsible for the building require to:
show that the building was compliant with applicable building regulations during its construction, ongoing management and refurbishment
identify and manage building safety risks to prevent or reduce the consequences of fire spread or structural collapse
covers both the information and documents and the information management processes
should be stored as structured digital information in line with the golden thread principles.
The government will specify digital standards.
Building safety should include the fire and structural safety of a building and the safety of all the people in or in the vicinity of a building (including emergency responders).
Golden thread will apply to new and existing HRBs.
The golden thread principles
The golden thread should be:
1. Accurate and trusted
2. Residents feeling secure in their homes
3. Culture change: an enabler for better and more collaborative working.
4. Single source of truth: all information together in a single place
6. Accountable: record changes.
8. Simple to access (accessible)
9. Longevity/durability and shareability of information
A detailed explanation of each of the Golden principles can be found in the building regulations section of the UK Government website.