The design of slender columns is difficult, because in addition to material failure there is also the possibility of local failure through instability.
The talk reviews:
- The history of slender column design, from the pioneering work of Euler and Young through to the latest design methods
- How design methods and allowable stresses have developed and changed over the years
- The issues engineers need to consider
- Problems in current steel and concrete codes
- New proposals for simplifying concrete column design to Eurocode 2 and BS8110
Alasdair Beal - Consultant at Perega Ltd (formerly Thomasons Ltd), Leeds.
After Glasgow University he worked at Freeman Fox on long-span bridge design. Subsequently, his work has ranged from historic buildings to modern commercial projects, surveys and expert witness.
Design of slender columns - from Euler to Eurocodes