First published: N/A
Standard: £9 + VAT
An IStructE account gives you access to a world of knowledge. Create a profile to receive details of our unique range of resources, events and training.
Added to basket
A Joint Meeting of the Institution of Structural Engineers, the Plastics Group of the Society of Chemical Industry and the Institute of the Plastics Industry was held on the 11th May, 1943, and took the form of a symposium on “The Practical Use of Plastics in Building and Structural Work.” The principal speakers were Mr. F.S. Snow, representing the Institution of Structural Engineers, Dr. A. Caress, representing the Plastics Group and the Institute of the Plastics Industry, and Dr. R.J. Schaffer, and a report of their remarks is given below:
F.S. Snow, Dr. A. Caress and Dr. R.J. Schaffer
1. The terms of reference to the Committee were :-
(a) That the time is come when the Institution should take an interest in the education of craftsmen, supervisors and technicians employed in the Structural Engineering Industry, and the training of such individuals.That the Council consider what steps could be taken to ensure to the industry properly educated and, trained craftsmen, supervisors and technicians. That such trained individuals be given a form of Certificate or diploma after qualification.
(b) The consideration be given to the admission of such qualified craftsmen, supervisors and technicians to a new class of non-corporate membership of the Institution.
(c) That should the Ministry of Works constitute a National Apprenticeship Council, the Institution should offer to assist in the improvement of the education of craftsmen attached to the industry.
(d) That contact be made with the Army Educational Authorities with the object of establishing courses in Structural Engineering in regular army educational courses. It is quite possible that at the end of the war, a considerable army of occupation may have to be maintained on the Continent for some time, and every facility should be given to those desiring to study
in Structural Engineering.
It is with deep regret that we record the death, on the 14th July, of Lt.-Colonel Walter Bridges (Member). He was born in 1872, and in 1891 was articled to James Simpson & Co., waterworks engineers, with whom he afterwards served as assistant engineer. In 1903 he entered into partnership with the late Mr. Hal Williams as a consulting engineer. The partnership was dissolved in 1910, and the firm of Walter Bridges & Co., consulting and supervising engineers, was founded.