First published: N/A
Standard: £9 + VAT
An IStructE account gives you access to a world of knowledge. Create a profile to receive details of our unique range of resources, events and training.
Added to basket
This paper presents an experimental investigation involving 12 reinforced concrete deep beams tested under fatigue loading. Three diflerent types of web reinforcement were investigated, and the tests revealed that web reinforcement has significant influence on the structural response of deep beams under fatigue loading. With load repetitions, the midspan deflection and the maximum crack width increased, while the shear strength decreased. Comparison with the current CIRIA guide design procedure for deep beams shows that the CIRIA guide may be safe for up to a certain range of load repetitions.
S. Teng, W. Ma, K.H. Tan and F.K. Kong
The Acheiropoietus timber roofed basilica is the best preserved early Christian basilica in Greece and the east Mediterranean coast lands. In its present state the monument (Figl) preserves five major periods of construction, which include early remodelling, followed by repairs due to strong earthquakes, as well as late modifications and modem reconstructions:
- erection of the basilica (5th century, phase A)
- remodelling of the staircase and south entrance portico and additions at the north and east side (7th century, phase B)
- extensive repairs of the church due to strong earthquakes which have also destroyed other buildings in the city (14th-15th century, phase C)
- post-Byzantine remodelling after the clerestory and the west gallery colonnades had been lost (beginning of the 20th century)
- extensive reconstruction of the south wall, the north and west gallery colonnades, at the beginning of the 20th century
Professor M. Karaveziroglou-Weber, C, Barboutis, B. Kranas and A. Zombou
Les Clark will succeed Sam Thorburn as President of the Institution 1998-99 at an Ordinary Meeting at Institution headquarters on l October p.m. when the new President will give his Presidential Address ‘Evolution or decay’, the full text of which will be published in The Structural Engineer in a forthcoming issue.