Paul Fast was named the 2021 Gold Medallist in recognition of his world leadership in the design of architecturally expressive structures that incorporate unconventional use of materials including hybrids of wood, steel and concrete.
Paul is co-founder of Fast + Epp, an internationally recognised structural engineering firm based in Vancouver, Canada. Most recently, he was appointed Kerbis Fellow and Clinical Professor at the University of Illinois.
For over three decades, he has been the design lead for many of Fast + Epp’s most significant award-winning projects. These include:
- The Richmond Olympic Oval roof
- The Grandview Heights Aquatic Centre
- The Kingsway Pedestrian Bridge
- The 18-storey TallWood House at the University of British Columbia
- The National Arts Centre in Ottawa
Gold Medal Address 2021 The Structural Engineer and Adventure