Structural Engineering Overseas - 1920-1934 Federated Malay States

Author: Coales, F G

Date published

N/A

Price

Standard: £9 + VAT
Members/Subscribers: Free

Buy Now
Back to Previous

Structural Engineering Overseas - 1920-1934 Federated Malay States

The Structural Engineer
Author

Coales, F G

Date published

N/A

Author

Coales, F G

Price

Standard: £9 + VAT
Members/Subscribers: Free

Buy Now

A REVIEW of structural engineering in Malaya, covering the years 1920 to 1934, is largely a review of the development and use of reinforced concrete as a structural material. Prior to 1920 reinforced concrete was comparatively little used, bricks and
mortar being the materials generally employed for buildings, steel was universally employed for bridges, and mass concrete was the usual material for reservoirs, storage tanks, and similar structures. In this connection it may be well to mention that probably the first reinforced concrete structure constructed in Malaya was a ferry boat. Such a craft was built for the Federated Malay States Railway in 1912, by Messrs. Brossard Mopin, a Singapore firm of French engineers, and was employed for transporting goods across the Johore Straits until the Johore Causeway, which is referred to later, rendered the use of ferry boats obsolete.

F.G. Coales

Additional information

Format:
PDF
Publisher:
The Institution of Structural Engineers

Tags

Issue 1

Related Resources & Events

The Structural Engineer
<h4>The Secretary of the Institution</h4>

The Secretary of the Institution

Major R. F. MAITLAND, O.B.E. (Mil. Div.), Chevalier Crown of Italy, M.I.Istruct. E.

Price ‐ £9
The Structural Engineer
<h4>The Institution Headquarters, at 10 Upper Belgrave Street, S.W. 1</h4>

The Institution Headquarters, at 10 Upper Belgrave Street, S.W. 1

The Institution Headquarters, at 10 Upper Belgrave Street, S.W. 1

Price ‐ £9
The Structural Engineer
<h4>The History of the Institution Branches VII. Scottish Branch</h4>

The History of the Institution Branches VII. Scottish Branch

THE Scottish Branch was founded in 1931, at the suggestion of the late Mr. Basil Scott . An inaugural meeting was held in the Royal Technical College in October, 1931, when the proposal to form a Scottish Branch was discussed, and enthusiastically approved by the fifty members who attended.

Author ‐ Ridley, Martyn Noel
Price ‐ £9