An IStructE account gives you access to a world of knowledge. Create a profile to receive details of our unique range of resources, events and training.
The Institution's former London headquarters in Belgravia, London
Dr Sarah Buck, the first woman President of the Institution
Professor Henry Adams, recipient of the first Gold Medal
Sir Arnold Waters VC, twice President of the Institution
Updated 11 March 2020
Concrete Institute founded as the representative body for professions related to concrete. Edwin Sachs (1870-1919), an esteemed architect, is the driving force behind the Institute’s foundation.
Membership consists of architects, engineers, chemists, manufacturers and surveyors.
The first meeting of Council takes place in the smoking room at the Ritz Hotel on 21 July.
Institute becomes incorporated under The Companies Act (1862-1907).
Scope of Institute widened to embrace all areas of structural engineering, particularly steel frames.
Structural engineering defined as "that branch of engineering which deals with the scientific design, the construction and erection of structures of all kinds of material".
Victoria Cross awarded to future Institution President, Major Arnold Waters.
Concrete Institute name changed to the Institution of Structural Engineers.
First Gold Medal awarded, to Professor Henry Adams.
Name of journal becomes The Structural Engineer (previously Journal of the Institution of Structural Engineers).
First woman member elected: Florence Mary Taylor, as an Associate Member.
Institution granted Royal Charter.
Institution moves to number 11, Upper Belgrave Street, London.
Mary Irvine (later Lindsay) is the ﬁrst women to be elected a Chartered Member.
Marjem Chatterton is the first woman elected as a Fellow.
The Institution becomes a Registered Charity.
Institution celebrates its Diamond Jubilee.
First Structural Award winner named: The Severn Bridge, by Freeman Fox and Partners.
First international agreement signed, an agreement of cooperation with the China Civil Engineering Society.
Dr Sarah Buck named Institution’s first woman President.
Institution celebrates its centenary
New headquarters building purchased at 47-58 Bastwick Street, London.
Institution moves to Bastwick Street.
Our History Study Group's annual lectures cover topics including the Clifton Suspension Bridge, late Gothic vaults and the Tower of Freiburg Minster.