THE European Committee for Concrete first met at Luxembourg on November 23rd, 1953. Subsequent meetings have been held at Fontainebleau, in May 1954, in Madrid, June 1956, and in Rome, April 1957. The initiative and enthusiasm of French engineers brought it into being, particularly M. Balency-Béarn, the first president, M. Esquillan and M. Brice, all leading members of the ‘Chambre Syndicale des Constructeurs en Ciment Armé de France et de l'Union Française.’ Membership of the Committee is limited to three delegates from each country, who should be authorities in the fields of research and design practice. Simplicity of organisation and intimacy of discussion has thereby been achieved. A larger assembly could not hope to debate effectively the complexities of research and design theory, and make progress in drafting agreed conclusions and recommendations. The enthusiasm of the French, as the instigators of the venture, has persisted, and at each meeting no time has been wasted
and a concentrated programme of work has been carried through with zest and endurance, sub-committees often working until late at night, in order to reach understanding and agreement.
Professor A.L.L. Baker