Following the fire on the night of 4-5 February 1994, it took two years to make the necessary decisions and organize the initial funding. Finally in August 1996, reconstruction work began on the building, which was listed as a historical monument in 1883. Much use was made of up-to-the-minute technology. The sections described in this article mark a break with the philosophy that has long prevailed for this type of project. All in all, it was an impressive operation, managed by Alain Charles Perrot, chief architect of the historical monument department.