It details the geological and geotechnical conditions and details observations relating to the earthquake's effects on local structures.
This report assesses the following:
1. The extent of wave inundation and wave characteristics (size, type and direction), along with the influence of local topography and any coastal defence structures
2. The effectiveness of the tsunami warning system and resulting human response
3. Local methods of construction, including repairs and retrofits, and to make comparisons of the actual performance of structures with the expectations of building designers
4. Lethality rates of different types of collapsed and damaged buildings and also the survivability in these structures
5. The emergency management in this earthquake and tsunami, and how this can be linked with earthquake protection especially making a comparison between Samoa and American Samoa islands