Author: Pippard, A J Sutton
1st May 1923
First published: 1st May 1923
Standard: £9 + VAT
An IStructE account gives you access to a world of knowledge. Create a profile to receive details of our unique range of resources, events and training.
Added to basket
Pippard, A J Sutton
The new opening bridge over the River Cart at Inchinnan, near Renfrew, carries the principal road from Glasgow to Greenock and other west-coast ports, and is the only bridge over the Cart between Paisley and the Clyde, a distance of 3 miles. It provides
an improved and widened navigation channel between Paisley and the River Clyde. The earliest attempt to improve the Cart navigation was made in 1753. The Cart Navigation Trust was formed in 1834, when the present swing bridge was erected over an artificial channel. The financial embarrassments of the Trust led to the undertaking becoming derelict in 1915. In 1920 power was granted to the Burgh of Paisley to improve the navigation-channel at Inchinnan and to replace the old swing bridge by a modern opening bridge. The widened channel has a clear width of 90 ft. and a depth of 21 ft. at high water length of about 250 ft.
William Bertram Hall
Gentlemen,-If any excuse is needed for the appearance, at such an early stage of the life of the Institution, of a paper on Education, I would point out that the special aim of the following thoughts is to focus attention on structural engineering as a profession. Probably the first question that a man who is thinking of putting his son into one of the professions asks himself is, " Which will reward him best for his labour?" It is true that the probable remuneration does not always determine the choice, and in all cases the lad's natural instinct and bent for certain work should be taken into account, but it is only natural that the man should wish to know what chances of success will follow the period of severe training which all must pass through who enter upon professional careers in our time.
Harry Hayes Clapham
The first meeting, since its inauguration, of the newly formed Western Counties branch of the Institution of Structural Engineers was held on Saturday afternoon, 24th February, 1923, at Bristol University. This was preceded by a visit of inspection to the new buildings of the University in course of erection. The members and a number of friends, making a party of about 50, assembled at the top of Park Street, and by the kind permission of the architects, Messrs. Oatley and Lawrence, were conducted over the new buildings, and were able to see the progress that has been made, and were furnished with a number of particulars that might also be of interest to the members generally. The new buildings lie to the south of the earlier buildings of the University, and are grouped around a Quadrangle at the back, and a forecourt in the front towards Queen’s Road. The most prominent feature from the street is the tower, which has at present reached rather over a third of its ultimate height. The main entrance is in the base of the tower, and leads immediately into the entrance hall (75 ft. high to the fan vaulting) from which rise two parallel flights of stairs of easy ascent leading directly to the great hall, approached through a wide vestibule or crush space at the top of the stairs. This vestibule is to be vaulted in stone upon the same principle as the entrance hall. The body of the great hall measures 100 ft. by 50 ft. It is covered by a hammer beam roof of English oak, now in course of construction, and is provided with a recessed orchestra at its northern end and two superimposed recessed galleries at the opposite extremity.